10.06.2011

Everything But the Kitchen Sink
































The dreaded apartment search has begun... Recently a few (non NYers) have asked me if searching for an apartment is fun and exciting. You would think having a fresh start and seeing different apartments across the city would be fun. But it's not.

To be honest, I really can't complain all that much because we really haven't physically gone to see many places yet and the few that we have seen were actually a lot nicer than we imagined. But $300 application fees and paying thousands of dollars to someone that showed us the apartment for 5 minutes has turned us off. I was explaining to my sister that finding an apartment in NYC is like finding a needle in haystack. Just when you think you've found the perfect place and have already decorated the place in your head (or on graph paper, I'm a designer, I can't help it), you come to find out the rent is double what they advertised online. This happens all the time and it's the main reason why we haven't moved in 3 years. 

After hours of online searching, I think I found one of my favorite ads. It had nice photos of a renovated apartment, in a desirable part of Brooklyn, that was bigger than a closet and was going for a really reasonable price. After thinking this may be the one, we scrolled down and it read: "What's the catch? There is no bathroom sink." Really? Oh New York, what we do for you...

Photos from here and here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's reasons like these that we moved to a random city in the Midwest (not entirely random, the in-laws live here) so we could purchase the home of our dreams. We have many bathroom sinks...just saying :)

Best of luck in the search - it does not sound fun to me at all! Have a good weekend!

Annemarie said...

Searching for housing is always a daunting task to me as well. It should be fun, but stress quickly sets in! Good luck in your search. I love this color palette :) xoxo